My writing habits are somewhat set. The process is very much set, or at least it has been for the past five years or so.
First, I am worried because I have no ideas. What will I do when I finish my current project? Am I tapped dry?
2. Ambushed by a new idea at the nearly worst possible moment.
2a. Start doing research for the idea while fighting to finish the WIP. This might not always happen if conditions are “right” or the story is a short.
3. Start writing. Characters, setting, general plot are in place and I’m feeling good.
4. Story hums along.
5. Panic begins to nibble at the edges because I have no idea what just happened, the characters have taken on lives of their own, and there is no way I’ll come up with enough words.
6. Plodding through the middle, no end in sight, this is going to be a disaster. I’ll never write enough words.
7. Abrupt onset plot attacks, story leaps ahead and I know the ending. Now I just have to get there.
8. Oh no, this is going to be too long, far too long!
9. The end is in sight!
9a. Oh no, not a sequel, this was supposed to be a three book series, stop, stop! OR
9b. What do I do next? I’m out of stories. I’m dooooomed! OR
9c. Bad idea, shoo! No, get away, scat, shoo, I have to finish this book, I’ll get to you later. Hey, put that down, scram!
10. Yeah! I’m done!