The first book in the WWI – interWar alternative history/ secret history series, The Powers, is now available on Kindle. Paperback will be out after the New Year.
Welcome to a Europe where Fredrick the Great didn’t keep Silesia, where Vienna still has its walls in 1914, and where both humans and non-humans quietly rule Eastern Europe.
“There won’t be a war this year. There wasn’t one in 1908, or 1909, or 1910, and the fussing in the Balkans doesn’t count.”
Or so István Eszterházy believes. In the world of the Powers, the ancient creatures that have worked with the great Houses for a thousand years and more, István knows that even if war comes, it will be fast, brief, and he’ll be on the winning side. And that cavalry rules the battlefield.
But 1914 is different.
Although set in the Cat Among Dragons universe, this series stands alone, and no knowledge of the other books is needed.
Edited to add: At 1400 CST, A Carpathian Campaign reached
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #7,387 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #23 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Alternative History
- #24 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical > Alternate History
- #132 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
Update 1645 CST:
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,530 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #10 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Alternative History
- #11 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical > Alternate History
- #73 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
I’ve already almost finished it. I’m thoroughly enjoying the ‘real’ history mixed up with the fictional, particularly because the political, cultural and genealogical cross-currents in Eastern Europe at the time were so complex and interwoven. Well done! I’ll put up a blog review next week.
Yay! That sounds very promising. I look forward to reading it after Christmas, and will review. Merry Christmas!
I returned from my Christmas travels today, and purchased, read, and reviewed it on my blog. Very enjoyable. I’ll post a more concise review to Amazon later.
Off Topic, but I’m catching up on my purchases of your books but I seem to be missing Colplatschki Chronicles Book 8 and can’t find it.
I have Blackbird (Book 7) and am about to purchase Forcing The Spring (Book 9).
Do you count Marie’s Tale (which I have) as Book 8?
Book 8 will be _Fountains of Mercy_, and will be published in 2018. It is actually Book 1 chronologically, about the Great Fires and the origins of the Peilov and Babenburg families (and St. Gerald.) I’m sitting on it because of some problems with the science that I need to iron out.
Oh Good! I wasn’t an idiot for not seeing Book 8! 😀
Now, I hope to see it sooner that 2018. 😉
That free sample is a good choice.